-
February 9th, 2003, 12:07 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Several weeks (months) ago, I proposed buying a pair of 288C?s and large format horns from a local audio contractor. They were in his ?junk? room and represented no significant value. I proposed to the Users Group that since I was using A7?s in my basement den, I replace my 511B/802D?s with these. The consensus seemed to be to keep my 511B/802D?s rather than replace them with the 288C?s.
This audio/music/guitar contractor used to sell Altec, but has since gone into semi-retirement and left the day-to-day operations to the younger folk. They?ve never known Altec-Lansing. Regardless of the consensus of the guru?s , today I revisited that local contractors establishment and it was decided they needed to get rid of these 288C?s. I purchased them (driver condition unknown) mounted on 1005 horns with mounting hardware for $100 each - except for some paint spatters on drivers, cosmetically in good condition. I couldn?t resist.
My question is ? I haven?t tried these yet but I would not be surprised at all if they needed diaphragms. Are 288C?s Alnico which also might need to be re-magnetized? I might attempt replacing the diaphragms myself, but re-maging would require sending to GPA.
Apologize for my ramblings, but you may have such a contractor/music purveyor in your area. This has not been my first score from one.
-
February 9th, 2003, 01:48 AM
#2
Inactive Member
From the expert:
Large Voice of the Theater Systems
by Jim Dickinson,Theater Consultant
"If you have any of the later larger alnico magnet drivers (288-8G, 16G, 32G, 8H, 16H), I recommend a trip to the ALTEC factory for cleaning, realignment and remagnetizing."
-
February 9th, 2003, 02:02 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Charles:
You made a good deal, you can at least triple your money on Ebay figure about $300-350 a piece. For the low power needed in home use the small format does better in the low range perhaps with more resolution and gives more extended HF. The large format obviously will have more limited HF but can handle the required power in larger rooms. Try and see which one you prefer, definitely go with the Aluminum diaphragms from(altogether) Bill. You really have no choice.
Think hard about remag...shipping is not cheap!!
-
February 10th, 2003, 08:02 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I am sure AL-TEC meant to say this but I believe the 802 would originally have had the aluminum diaphragm. The symbiotik diaphragm would have been designated to the 808 or 291 drivers though they certainly could have later been put in a set of 802 or 288's respectively.
-
February 10th, 2003, 04:16 PM
#5
Inactive Member
-
February 11th, 2003, 06:37 PM
#6
Inactive Member
-
February 12th, 2003, 12:42 AM
#7
Inactive Member
I personally think the large format drivers sound way better than the small ones. They have a complete ease of reproduction the smaller do not. As for the high end, I think they are just as good in the highs, it is just that they are so much better in the mids it tends to overshadow the extreme HF. It is quite easy to reduce the mids or bosst the highs by equalizing either actively or passively. These drivers are not like other like format units, especially those with 4" diaphragms, they really do go up there. Yes they made need remaging, but first try them, you may be plesantly surprised. Jim
-
February 18th, 2003, 09:59 PM
#8
Inactive Member
charles--------the 288's with the aluminum dia are a killer on the A-7 if you do just a couple things------first use the 511-E horn (or a properly converted 511-B) or better yet a 311-90---------then------ and this is very important------- you need to equalize the HF response-------it is easily done with passive components since the 288 has enough excess efficiency that you can "scrub-off" several db in the midrange in order to gain extra output in the highest octave---------the easiest way to do this and get in the ballpark is to use a simple bridged "T" network------for the 16 ohm driver i have found that a bridge consisting of a series pair of 8 ohm resistors with a 12 ohm shunt and jumped by a 1UF cap will really flatten out a 288 and give it a sound that is impossible to achieve with a smaller format driver--------for a 8 ohm driver divide the resistor values in half and use a 2uf cap-----10 watt resistors are usually adequate------try it the proof is in the listening-------you will never be satisfied with a small format driver again!!!!!............RC
-
February 19th, 2003, 12:32 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Richard, you hit the mail on the head. Thank You, Jim
-
February 19th, 2003, 12:01 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
Richard,
Would this "scrubbing off" be in additional to the 6db that I can scrub off with my n500G crossovers?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks